To get straight teeth and the perfect smile, you may have recently obtained braces from your Fort Collins, CO, orthodontist. Unfortunately, braces can limit the types of food that you eat. Certain foods can get stuck within the brackets or damage the wires. Then you have to go back to your Fort Collins orthodontist to get the braces repaired. What a pain!
To avoid the hassle of damaged braces, your orthodontist in Fort Collins, CO, recommends you avoid these types of candy at all costs:
- Taffy: Salt-water taffy might be one of your go-to candies when you attend festivals or fairs. Unfortunately, it is very sticky, so it can easily wrap around brackets and break wires.
- Bubble gum: Bubble gum is designed to be sticky and elastic, so you can blow the perfect bubble. Just like with taffy, you will spend a lot of time trying to pick it out from around your brackets.
- Caramel: Another gooey, sticky culprit! Caramel and other soft candies should be items to hold off on eating until after the braces come off.
- Hard candies: Hard candies such as lollipops, jolly ranchers, and peanut brittle can dislodge brackets. You will need to make an emergency trip to the orthodontist to have the problem fixed.
- Gummy Bears: Gummy bears aren’t as sticky as bubblegum or taffy. Still, they can get between the wires and become difficult to clean out from the brackets.
Your Fort Collins orthodontist will talk with you about the proper oral care for your teeth while wearing braces. Often, we will also provide a list of foods that should be avoided. In general, most candies can damage your orthodontic devices and lead to serious tooth decay. Contact our office if you need advice about wearing braces. You should also immediately book an appointment if you damage your braces. We are here to help you.
Want to know more? Contact our orthodontics office in Fort Collins, CO, today!
About Ebert Orthodontics
Specializing In Braces & Invisalign In Fort Collins, CO
Dr. Ebert, top-rated orthodontist in Fort Collins offers the most advanced braces for you and your loved one, including Damon braces, Invisalign, Invisalign Teen and more! Contact our orthodontics office today to schedule your Ebert Smile Assessment today!
Fort Collins, CO, Orthodontics Office: 970.490.6065